Australian High Commission

FAQ - Child Applications

Return to the FAQ Page

Child Applications

Do I have to provide my child’s full Birth Certificate

Yes. A full original birth certificate, showing the parents' names must be provided for all child applications. Certified copies or commemorative birth certificates will not be accepted. Any foreign language documents must be accompanied by an official English translation.

Replacement Australian birth certificates are available from the Births, Deaths and Marriages Registry in the State in which the applicant was born. It is possible, in most States, to apply for a replacement certificate online and have a copy of the certificate faxed or emailed to the Australian High Commission (email: or fax: +65 6797 7465).

If born outside of Australia you will need the original foreign birth certificate and official English translation (if applicable) along with the original citizenship certificate.

Does the Australian parent have to lodge a child passport's application?

Either person with parental responsibility can lodge the passport application for a child . There is no requirement for the lodging parent to be an Australian citizen. If the child is over 16 years of age they also must attend the appointment.

I am applying for a passport for my child. The other person with parental responsibility for my child is not in Singapore. What can I do?

If the other person with parental responsibility is not in Singapore, they may lodge their consent for the application at the nearest Australian Passport Office in Australia, or at any Australian Embassy, High Commission, Consulate General, Consulate or Honorary Consulate  outside Australia.

You may lodge consent for an application at the Australian High Commission Singapore to support an application lodged elsewhere in the world.

One party does not consent. Can I still obtain a passport for the child?

Where a person with parental responsibility cannot, or does not, provide consent a passport can still be issued in limited circumstances.

As requirements are strict, it is likely that the application will be subject to lengthy delays. You may contact us by email ( or make an appointment to discuss your specific circumstances. Please see Children and Parental Consent website for further information.

How do I apply for a passport for my child? I am an Australian Citizen. My child was born outside Australia?

Before you can apply for an Australian passport on behalf of your child, he/she must first acquire Australian citizenship by descent. You must present your child's Australian citizenship certificate and original birth certificate (and official English translation if applicable) when applying for an Australian passport.

For information regarding Australian citizenship please see the Australian Citizenship section under Citizenship.

For information on Singapore birth certificates contact the Singapore Immigration and Checkpoint Authority (ICA).

Once these documents are obtained, you can apply for a passport by lodging a PC8 application form. You must lodge the passport application at the Australian High Commission in Singapore. You must book an appointment to lodge a passport application here.  More information regarding appointment bookings and the booking policy is available here

I am applying for a passport for my child. Does the child need to attend the interview?

If the child is aged under 16 they are not required to attend the interview. All applications must be lodged, in person, at the Australian High Commission Singapore by at least one person with parental responsibility for that child.

If the child is 16 years old or older, they must attend the interview with at least one person with parental responsibility for that child.

Are there additional requirements for applications for children born through a surrogacy arrangement?

Yes. As each circumstance is unique, please review the Surrogacy website for more details. 

Return to the FAQ Page