Australian High Commission

Visas and Migration

News/Important Information


COVID-19 – Current restrictions on travel to Australia and changes to visa processing services

Travel for Singapore Passport Holders

For information on the Singapore Travel Pilot, please click here. Citizens of other countries should refer to the Travel Restrictions information below.

Travel Restrictions

On 20 March 2020, Australia introduced travel restrictions to protect the health of the Australian community.  You cannot come to Australia unless you are in an exempt category or you have been granted an individual exemption to the current travel restrictions.

For more information, please see: Travel restrictions are subject to change and you should check back regularly.

During this period:

  • Visa processing will be delayed until further notice, including all applications previously lodged with the Australian High Commission.

Travel Restriction Exemptions for Visa Holders

Limited exemptions apply for some visa holders. You can enter Australia (without obtaining an individual exemption) if you are:

  • an Australian citizen or permanent resident of Australia

  • a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia and can demonstrate your residency

  • an immediate family member of an Australian citizen, permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen usually resident in Australia (spouse, de facto partner, dependent child or legal guardian)*

  • transiting Australia for less than 72 hours (however you may require a Transit visa)

  • a person who has been in New Zealand for 14 days or more immediately prior to arrival by air in Australia

  • a diplomat accredited to Australia, including their immediate family members (each member of the family unit must hold a valid subclass 995 visa)

  • airline crew, maritime crew including marine pilots

  • a person recruited under the Government approved Seasonal Worker Program or Pacific Labour Scheme

  • a person who holds a Business Innovation and Investment (subclass 188) visa.

  • a person who holds a Temporary Activity (subclass 408) visa in the ‘Post COVID-19 Economic Recovery Event’ stream and who is supported by the Global Business and Talent Attraction Taskforce.

* If you hold a temporary visa or do not yet hold a valid visa for Australia, you must provide proof of your relationship (such as your marriage certificate, evidence of your de-facto relationship such as shared finances or property, your birth certificate or birth certificate of your children) to the Department before you travel to Australia. Do not travel until we advise that you can. You can find out more about how to provide this information here.

You need to carry evidence that you meet one of the above categories when travelling. Additional evidence may be requested.

If you are not in an exempt category you can request an individual exemption to Australia's travel restrictions. For more information on travel restrictions and a full list of exemptions, visit the Home Affairs website: (a link to the exemption application is towards the bottom of the page).

If you do not hold a visa

If you do not hold a visa you cannot travel to Australia. Apply for a visa and provide proof of your relationship with an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

Apply for a visa through this website:

If you urgently need to travel to Australia you can email us at [email protected], if you are the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or permanent resident.  We will not otherwise respond to your request unless you demonstrate compelling/compassionate circumstances that justify urgent travel. Please quote your passport number in the subject line.

If we grant you a visa you must not travel until advised that you are exempt from the travel restriction.

Apply for the exemption here:

All visa holders and applicants should continue to monitor the Department of Home Affairs website for any changes in travel restrictions to Australia.


Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

You can’t come to Australia at this time unless you are exempt or have been granted a travel exemption. You should reconsider your need to apply for an Australian visa at this time. See updates on travel restrictions and visa processing at COVID19 and the border.

Certain passport holders (including Singaporeans) may be able to apply for an ETA as part of the Australian ETA mobile app pilot. See: I want to apply for a visa.

For more information about the ETA and how to apply, see: Electronic Travel Authority (ETA)

After you have applied for an ETA, you should wait for a written notification which will be sent to you by email. In most cases, you will be notified of the result of your ETA application immediately. Sometimes there will be a delay before receiving your notification.

If you have been notified that your ETA cannot be processed or approved without further information, you can:

European passport holders might be eligible for an eVisitor (subclass 651). There is no service charge for an eVisitor. You can apply online for an eVisitor through ImmiAccount.


Please do not call or approach the Australian High Commission in person regarding your ETA application.

You should not book flights or make travel commitments until you have a visa to travel to Australia. The department will not be liable for any financial loss incurred by clients whose visa application was finalised later than expected or where an application is unsuccessful.


Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visa additional 2,000 places and online lodgement from 1 July 2019

On 1 July 2019 the Department of Home Affairs opened availability for 2,500 Work and Holiday (subclass 462) visas.

Applications must be lodged online. For further information, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

After your application has been lodged, you may receive a letter asking you to provide Personal Identifiers (PIDS). You will need to make an appointment to enrol your biometrics at VFS. See:


Beware of Visa Scams

To avoid being scammed, you can check the Register of Migration Agents on the OMARA website, to receive the protections of an OMARA registered Migration Agent.

There are Australian registered migration agents working all around the world. These agents are subject to the same Code of Conduct, professional development and regulations as registered migration agents based in Australia. More information about Australia’s efforts to ensure the integrity of the migration advice profession is available at:


Visitor Visa (subclass 600) - Long Validity Option for Singapore Nationals

Singaporean citizens now have access to a long validity Visitor visa (subclass 600) that allows multiple entries and has a validity period of up to six years. Refer to the Australian Visa Application (AVAC) website for further information.


Visa, Migration and Citizenship Applicants

Travellers of all nationalities, except citizens of Australia and New Zealand, need a visa to travel to Australia. Most visas can be lodged online, while some can be lodged at the Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC) in Singapore (details below).

If you do not know what type of visa you need or whether you can apply online, a good starting point is the Visa Finder on the Department of Home Affairs website.


Lodging an Application in Singapore

Applications for most visas can be lodged online through ImmiAccount, a self-service web portal that allows users to create, submit, pay for and manage all online applications in one online system.

To create an account or to log into an existing account, see: ImmiAccount


Information about visas can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website. Applications that do not include all the required documents may be delayed or, in some cases, refused. It is the applicant's responsibility to make sure the application is complete at the time of lodgement.

The Australian Visa Application Centre in Singapore resumed limited operations from 2 November 2020 for Biometrics collection, strictly by appointment. Paper applications are not currently being accepted. You can apply online for most visa and citizenship applications at:


Australian Visa Application Centre (AVAC)
135 Cecil Street
#08-01 Philippine Airlines Building
Singapore 069536

Note that all applications are assessed by the Department of Home Affairs. AVAC staff have no involvement in assessments or decisions.


Methods of Payment

Visa Application Charge

The Visa Application Charge (VAC) may be paid by credit card online through the 'My Payments' option in ImmiAccount. If you wish to pay by credit card for a paper application, you will need to do this before lodging your application. Enter the receipt number on the application form and provide a copy of the receipt with your application. 

For more information, see: How to Pay

Service Fee

VFS service fees paid at the AVAC can only be paid by cash or bank draft (drawn on local banks only).

Visas for Diplomatic Passport Holders

Diplomatic passport holders travelling to Australia on official business should contact the Immigration section of the Australian High Commission directly. Diplomatic passport holders travelling for tourism or personal travel should apply for a visa online but are not required to provide their biometrics.


Australian Citizenship Applications

All citizenship applications are now processed in Australia.

For Australian Citizenship by Descent, see: Become an Australian citizen (by descent) Your parent was an Australian citizen when you were born overseas (

For other types of citizenship applications, see: Become a citizen (

To request evidence of citizenship or a replacement citizenship certificate, see: Evidence of citizenship (

For information on giving up (renouncing) Australian citizenship, see: Australian citizenship Give up Australian citizenship (renounce) (


Australians Adopting in Singapore

Australians considering adopting a non-Singapore citizen child whilst living in Singapore are advised to refer to the information on immigration and citizenship requirements in relation to expatriate adoption and inter-country adoption on the Department of Home Affairs website. Australian migration requirements for adopted children are quite specific, and an adoption that does not meet these legal criteria may result in the child not being able to migrate to Australia or acquire Australian citizenship. To meet migration visa requirements, amongst other criteria, Australians would be expected to have adopted a non-Singapore citizen child through the formal and legal adoption process in the child’s home country – a Singapore court adoption order for a non-Singapore citizen child is unlikely to meet Australia’s migration requirements.


Updating Passport Details

Australian visa holders must notify the Department of Home Affairs of their new passport details to ensure that their record is up-to-date. Failure to update passport details will result in delays when travelling to Australia. Visa holders or registered Australian organisations will be unable to check visa details online.

Visa holders (other than ETA holders) can update their passport details online through ImmiAccount or by completing Form 929 (Change of address and/or passport details) and emailing it to [email protected]. Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) holders with a new passport will need to apply for a new ETA.

If you have a valid visa (other than an ETA) associated with an expired passport, and you have been issued with a new passport since your current valid visa was granted, you may travel carrying your old and new passports together and the airline will arrange to have the details updated at the time of check-in.


Australia’s Visa Label Policy

The Australian Government does not require holders of Australian visas to have a visa label in their passport.

Australian visas are granted electronically and stored in a central database, enabling visa holders, registered Australian organisations and airline staff to check visa details online. Australian visa holders can provide evidence that they have the authority to travel to, enter and/or remain in Australia by showing the passport or ImmiCard that is linked to their electronic visa record.


Check Your Visa Status Online (VEVO)

The Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) system is a free online service that allows holders of Australian visas, employers and other registered organisations to check current visa details and conditions. You can also use VEVO to obtain proof of your visa conditions to send to others. 



Health Requirements and Medical Examinations

Detailed information about health requirements for visa applicants can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

See: Health Requirements

Overseas medical examinations are only acceptable if conducted by approved panel physicians or clinics. A panel physician is a doctor or a radiologist who has been appointed by the Australian Government to perform medical examinations on visa applicants who have applied from outside Australia. For a list of Australian approved Panel Doctors

See: Panel Doctors

Not all applications require a medical examination. You should not have a visa medical examination until you have been formally requested to do so by the Australian High Commission or other office processing your application.


Character Requirement

In some cases, you may be required to provide penal clearances to meet our character requirement from countries in which you have resided for 12 months or more during the last ten years. For further information on how and where to obtain these clearances

See: Character Requirements


Requesting Travel Records and Visa Cancellations

See: Requesting travel records.

For visa cancellations, see the Frequently Asked Questions link below 


Frequently Asked Questions

For a comprehensive list of Frequently Asked Questions, click here.