Australian High Commission

Property and Mortgage Documents

The Australian High Commission can witness your signature on some land, mortgage or property documents, certify documents and complete the DFAT Identity Certificate (also known as 'verification of identity'). We can’t provide legal advice. See below for our step-by-step guide and some other helpful hints.  Notary publics in Singapore can also witness most documents.

We cannot complete Victorian Land Transfer Duties Form 6A. Why? Because this form must be signed and witnessed by a person authorised under section 107A(1) of the Evidence (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1958 per 'How do I complete this form?' on page 1 of your form. Contact your representative to see who else can help you (such as a notary public or Australian lawyer).

Step 1: Seek advice from your Australian legal practitioner, licensed conveyancer, or mortgagee (bank etc). We are unable to provide legal advice. Each document is different and we can’t tell you what you need.  Check with the person or organisation which sent you your documents to see if an Australian Consular Officer can witness your signature on the document.

Step 2: Ask your lawyer, conveyancer or bank to prepare your documents and provide written instructions that include:

Dear Australian High Commission

I request your assistance with the following:

·         Witnessing of ___ number of copies of documents ____ (insert name of documents). These documents can be witnessed by a ____ (insert list of persons who can witness e.g. consular officer, consul, notary public).

·         If applicable; The document does not include the title reference and lot number because ____ (insert reason if applicable e.g. property is yet to be assigned a lot number)

·         Certifying ___ number of copies of _____ (insert types of documents e.g. passport, Singapore ID card).  These must be coloured copies (if applicable).

·         Completing a DFAT Identity Certificate  for ______ (insert names of clients). Only one certificate is completed per client. Each certificate must be accompanied by at least 1 certified document. Representative must advise what documents are to be included at point (g) on the Identity Certificate.  

Step 3: Make an appointment for a "Property/mortgage documents" for the State/Territory where your property is located at the following link

Book an appointment with Australian High Commission Singapore using SetMore

The appointment includes witnessing of your document, certifying of documents and completing the DFAT identity certificate (depending on your requirements).  

If you select the wrong service, we may not be able to help at your appointment time.  Services are provided strictly by appointment only. If you do not have an appointment you will not be attended to.

Urgent appointments: if your document is urgent please contact a notary public. See for a list of notaries in Singapore.

Step 4: Visit our office

25 Napier Road
Singapore - 258507

Things to bring to your appointment:

1.       A letter from your Australian legal practitioner, licensed conveyancer, or mortgagee (bank etc) in the format set out at step 2

2.       Your documents for witnessing (do not sign before the appointment),

3.       Your passport and other documents to be certified. You will need to have photo ID that matches the name on the document you are signing.

4.       Credit card to pay Fees. Please note that a witnessing fee is charged per signature witnessed and a certification fee is charged per document certified. There is no charge for the DFAT Identity Certificate

Step 5: Send your documents to your representative. We do not do this for you.

See below for more information on what we can and can’t do.

Visit Smartraveller under the heading "Selling or buying land or property in Australia?"

'Identifiers Certificates' or 'Verification of Identity Certificates'

The High Commission will complete the DFAT Identity Certificate for land, property or mortgage transactions.  High Commission staff will not sign any other form of 'Identifiers Certificates' or 'Verification of Identity Certificates' or other organsiations documents to verify your identity.  Check your requirements with your Australian representative and ask them if you need a DFAT Identity Certificate before visiting the Australian High Commission.   

The High Commission can complete the DFAT Identity Certificate on its own without witnessing you execute a document.  For us to complete the certificate, we will need to certify at least one of your ID documents.

Legal advice

See a lawyer for legal advice. High Commission staff do not provide legal advice. We suggest someone from the state where you are purchasing the property.

Who else can do this?

Check with your Australian Legal Practitioner, Licensed Conveyancer or Mortgagee to see if someone else can witness or certify your documents.  Each state has different requirements, for example:

·         Queensland – witness can be notary publics, or Australian registered lawyers. This information is available from the Queensland Government

·         New South Wales - an eligible witness can be anyone who is over 18 years of age and is not a party to the transaction and has known the person who is signing the dealing as a party to the transaction for at least a year or has taken reasonable steps to confirm the identity of that person. This information is available from the New South Wales Government

·         Victoria – We cannot complete Victorian Land Transfers Duties Form 6A at the Consulate under section 107A(1) of the Evidence (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1958. They can be witnessed by a notary public, justice of the peace, an Australian lawyer among others. A full list is available from the Victorian Government This legislation is currently under review by the Victorian Government and will hopefully be updated to include consular officers. You should discuss this with your representative.   

·         Western Australia – Transfer of land Act 1893 requires that all WA transfers witnessed overseas must be witnessed by an Australian Consular Officer.  See the Transfer of Land Act 1893 for a full list

·         South Australia –  According to the Registrar-General's Verification of Identity Requirements the identity declarant must be an adult who has known the person for 12 months, not related and not a party to the transaction OR a Bank Manager, a Community Leader, Court Officer, Medical Practitioner, Land Council Officeholder, Local Government Officeholder, Nurse, Public Servant, Legal Practitioner, Conveyancer or Police Officer.  This information is available from The South Australian Government

Verification of Identity:  An international financial institution or law practice would also be able to use overseas personnel to conduct verification of identity e.g. if you are dealing with an Australian bank with a presence in Singapore (such as NAB) they can complete the verification of identity in Singapore for free.